There was a nice collection of water fowl in the sheltered bay across
the street from the entrance to the State Park this afternoon:

Wood Ducks, including one resplendent male in full breeding plumage,
at first with his unmistakable crest backlighted and then moving into
a shaded place so I could see all the colors
American Wigeon  - at least 4
Mallard  - a few hundred
Common Goldeneye  - at least 2
Pied-billed Grebe   - at least 2
American Coot  - at least one
Double-crested Cormorant  - two, an adult and a first-year bird

I was looking directly into the sun, so there might have been other
species. There were several small puddle ducks that I couldn't see
clearly, probably teal. There might have been some ring-necked ducks,
but they were far out and in the sun-sparkles.

Maeve Kim
Jericho Center