On a whim I stopped at Mt. Philo State Park on my way home from Burlington
tonight. Playing a recording from my car while my headlights flooded the
woodland edge at the base of the mountain, I had one saw-whet giving a
plaintive reply. This single bird kept on calling long enough for me to move
quite a bit closer and actually record it with my cell phone. When I
replayed its voice a few times over I was treated with a glimpse of the bird
itself as he flew out from the woods, into the light from the car, and then
veered off when he caught sight of me.
All told, I believe there were three saw-whets in the vicinity. I distinctly
heard another bird tooting just a bit south of the one I located, and a bit
north, during the call and response session, I heard a high-pitched shriek
that struck me as a small owl.
A wonderful Vermont first...I would have stayed were it not for the
teenagers who came tearing into the parking lot!

I'd be happy to forward copies of the recordings I got (an AMR file...works
on Real Player), if you are interested. Just send me an email.

Greg
Vergennes