Yesterday (Friday) at around 4:00 p.m. I saw a 1st year Golden Eagle at the Dead Creek
WMA on the north side of Rte. 17 (across from the Goose viewing area). This bird had a
white tail with a broad dark terminal band. It also had a white patch on each underwing at
the base of the inner primary and outer secondary feathers. There were no white patches
on the upper wings. When it was soaring its' wings were lifted at a slight dihedral (not on a
flat plane like a Bald  Eagle), and the primaries at the wing tips were pointed upward. The
rest of the bird was all dark and it was a bit too far away to notice any golden colored
feathers on the head or nape. The head however did look smaller then that of a Bald Eagle.
Its' wings were also very broad and very long.
Later on I saw Brendan Collins and he told me that he and two others had seen a young
Golden Eagle on Thursday, on the south side of the Goose viewing area.
I suppose that it is possible that we saw the same bird.... Anyway, when I last saw the bird
it was heading east in the direction of Buck Mountain.
I tried to post this sighting early this morning but I could not get the List/Serv page to open.

Enjoy Birds,

Jim Mead