Hello All,

Thanks to Bryan Pfeiffer's posting yesterday about the two Black Vultures, Jim
Osborn and I thought we would try to find them and ended up doing just that.
We drove south through Hinesburg and went by Bristol Pond (to try and see
the Sandhill Cranes, but did not) to get to Rte. 17 in Bristol. We were there
early and did not see "any" Vultures. We figured that they were still roosting
and would try again later. We went to the Goose viewing area in Addison and
saw Craig Provost there. He told us that Turkey Vultures have a roosting area
just west of the Mt. Abraham Union High School parking lot. After birding the
Addison area for a while we returned to Bristol and parked at the west edge of
the high school parking lot. Jim found a walking path that headed west and led
to the edge of a ledge that dropped off to a gravel pit type of area. We were
there about a minute when I spotted a Turkey Vulture flying west. I saw it
land in a tree on the west side of Burpee Rd. Using our scopes we were able
to identify 2 Black Vultures and 5 Turkey Vultures. It was 12:11 p.m. when we
found them. We observed them for a while then headed to Burpee Rd. to
hopefully get a closer look at them. When we got down there the Black
Vultures were not in the tree but the 5 Turkey Vultures still were. We then
continued north on Burpee and took a left onto Plank Rd. We drove west and
stopped on the side of the road just past the first farm on the left. We looked
toward the south and found one of the Black Vultures with one Turkey Vulture
in a tree across the field that we were parked next to. I called Greg Askew
and Craig Provost and told them where the Black Vultures were. Greg located
both of them(while viewing from Plank Rd.) in a different tree and they were
with 13 Turkey Vultures. He found them at 1:00 p.m. Craig called me at 2:21
p.m. to tell me that he had also located them soaring near the intersection of
Rte. 17, Burpee Rd. and Rte. 116. Thanks again Bryan, this is a great species
to get in Vermont, especially this far north.

Enjoy Birds,

Jim Mead