Hi everyone,

I stopped at South America Pond Road (Wenlock Wildlife Management Area in
Ferdinand) this morning on my way home from a birding tour in New Hampshire.
It was a smart move. I arrived at South America Pond Road at 9:45 A.M. At
9:55 A.M. a flock of White-winged Crossbills landed in the Spruce trees just
north of the "open swamp" area. There were at least 26 birds in this group.
They fed on the cones and then left. They reappeared on the scene about
10:15 A.M. The return group looked at bit larger than the 26 birds that I had
seen before. However, they didn't stay around long enough for me to get an
accurate count. At 10:18 A.M. a pair of Gray Jays landed in the same Spruce
trees. They were joined by 5 Purple Finches (3 males and 2 females). These
birds didn't stay long either. After seeing this I decided to walk the "Moose
Bog" trail. I didn't see or hear anything at all along the entire length of the
trail. I returned along Route 105 and picked up a few more Purple Finches plus
Red-breasted Nuthatch. Not a bad way to spend a beautiful October morning.

Jim Osborn
South Burlington