Hello All,

I headed south today and these were my sightings(in order of appearance):

Charlottte Town Beach:
3 Horned Grebe at 8:10 a.m.

Dead Creek Wildlife Management Area (across Rte. 17 from Brilyea Access Rd.):
3 Marsh Wren at 9:08 a.m.

Oven Bay at the end of Tri-Town Rd. in Addison. I met a birder named Steve
Rombulak there and this is what we saw:
2 White-winged Scoter(m) at 9:33 a.m.
1 Black Scoter(f) at 9:34 a.m.
7 Red-breasted Merganser at 9:36 a.m.
1 Red-bellied Woodpecker (heard by me before Steve arrived) at 9:43 a.m.
3 Red-necked Grebe at 9:58 a.m.
6 Hooded Merganser at 10:11 a.m.
36 Common Merganser at 10:19 a.m.
19 Common Loon at 10:21 a.m.
I didn't count the Bonaparte's Gulls but there were several hundred of them..

I then went to the Goose viewing area and hooked up with Ted Murin and four
birders from northern New York (these folks were a hoot-no pun intended or
maybe it was...) It was kind of quiet there and the Snow Geese were way in
the back field toward the south. We then tried Brilyea Rd. for a while and it
was kind of the same there... We split up for lunch and then Ted and I went
to Oven Bay. I met two birders there from Virginia. Their names were Jim &
Ilene McNeal. Ted said that he only had 20 more minutes to bird before he had
to go. He needed a grand total of about 7 minutes to locate a Little Gull (adult
nonbreeding) feeding with a group of Boneys at 1:45 p.m. After he left this is
what the McNeal's and I saw:
7 American Wigeon at 2:27 p.m.
5 White-winged Scoters at 2:52 p.m.
1 Surf Scoter (f) at 3:01 p.m.

The McNeal's and I then headed to the Goose viewing area:
A group of around 700 to 800 Snow Geese were half way out in the field south
of the parking area, on the west end. After searching the group for about 20
minutes, they were spooked by something, took flight and then landed back
where they were. This turned out to be a lucky break for us because within a
minute of them landing I located a Ross's Goose (j) toward the front edge of
the group at 4:34 p.m. The McNeal's and I enjoyed long looks at it. This was
not only a life bird for them but it was also a bird that they had never heard of
until then!!! About that time Steve Rombulak showed up. We lost sight of the
Ross's for a while and guess who relocated it? Ilene did and then Steve got to
enjoy great looks at it too. As it turned out this was also a life bird for
Steve!!! It was a great birding memory for me and a super way to end the
day....

Enjoy Birds,

Jim Mead