Yesterday, October 12th, we held our annual "BIG SIT" at the Birds of Vermont
Museum in Huntington. The event went from 6:00 A.M. to 6:00 P.M. Highlights
of our 30 species day included:

Eastern Screech-Owl calling at 6:09 A.M.
3 Barred Owls around the count circle from 6:09 A.M. until 6:45 A.M.
2 Hermit Thrushes near the circle at 6:40 A.M. Stayed all day.
Winter Wren in the bushes near the circle at 6:42 A.M.
Purple Finch flock at the feeders at 6:55 A.M. Stayed around all day.
Swainson's Thrush in the bushes near the circle at 7:45 A.M.
Blue-headed Vireo near the Museum feeders at 10:47 A.M.
Pine Siskin flock arrived at 3:47 P.M. and stayed around until 5:30 P.M.
Hooded Merganser pair flew over the circle at 4:44 P.M.
Wood Duck pair flew by at 5:01 P.M. Species #30 (Last one for day)

Five species were seen EVERY HOUR during the 12-Hour Count. These species
were HERMIT THRUSH, Blue Jay, Black-capped Chickadee, American Robin, and
Hairy Woodpecker.

It was nice to have the 2 Hermit Thrushes in the bushes behind the circle for
visitors to see. They just stayed in those bushes feeding on the berries for
the entire time we were there. Between 7:00 A.M. and 8:00 A.M. there were
up to 5 Hermit Thrushes in the bushes feeding on the berries. At 7:45 A.M.
they were joined by the Swainson's Thrush. That bird stayed around for about
35 minutes.

Jim Osborn
South Burlington