I didn't mean to start a "We deserve cheaper prices" vs. "stop your whining" thread.  Just curious if people thought a new owner would come into line with other prices, or if people thought any owner would feel stowe has some sort of added value for locals that other areas don't.

Personally, I don't see the extra value, but that's pure opinion of course, and holding a different opinion is ok.  Maybe stowe has the most, but other eastern mountains hold plenty of powder, steeps, and terrain for exploration, at  a lower $/fun ratio.  They may be lesser mountains, but not by that much.

I will continue to spend the money saved by avoiding stowe to fly out west.  My western days all make my top 10 days, every year.  Those memories are worth the price.

And Patrick,  aren't all your local areas competitively priced? ;-)

On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 7:57 PM, Scott Braaten <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
On Mon, 6 Oct 2008 12:45:18 -0400, Jumpin_Jimmy <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Sigh...I have a tough time with the "we are locals and deserve cheap passes!"
>propaganda...particularly when it comes from folks who blow thousands of $ on
>fancy, out-of-state ski trips each winter! How much more is a Stowe pass
>than a MRG or S-Bush? a few hundred bucks? Save your change up all year
>like I do. That $ easily bridges the cost differencial.

Same here.  Supply and demand says pass prices will likely again rise next
year, too.  Everyone says passes are too expensive but yet seasons pass
sales continue to rise.  Day tickets are too high, but for the first time in
the 5 seasons I've skied there I saw multiple days where they pulled out the
"lots full" sign.  There are only a certain number of people the resort can
handle if you consider traffic on RT 108, parking spaces, skier density,
lift capacity, and using 20 minutes as the longest lift lines should ever
get (try 45 min one day last year).  I don't even want to imagine what a day
would be like with low rates...oh yeah, that's canned food day, haha.  I
guess inside, it just boils down to fresh tracks and the higher the ticket
prices, the less competition for the goods ;)

-Scott

ps: A full season at Jackson Hole will cost you $1,970.00.  Thats definitely
worth paying for, but it doesn't seem local friendly in price either.