On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 12:52 PM, Mike Bernstein <[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> Dewpoint is one factor, but I think the more important factor is that
> Keystone
> and its 8000' base elevation don't receive thaws featuring 40/50 degree
> temps
> and an inch of niar once a month or more.  It may be colder on avg here
> than
> Keystone, but the variability here is so much greater, that any benefit of
> being -10 for a while from a snow preservation perspective is quickly wiped
> out
> by a day or two of 42 degrees featuring fog and niar.  The latter just
> doesn't
> happen at Keystone unless they are in the midst of an historic Pineapple
> Express.  VT gets it at least once per month on avg.

Not to nitpick, but this all goes back to dewpoint. When its 42 degrees and
featuring rain and fog, the dewpoint is probably in the 39 - 42 range as
well. How often does the dewpoint in the Rockies creep above 20 degrees
during the winter, let alone above freezing?

Of course, dewpoint doesnt exist in a vacuum. It is affected by things like
elevation, proximity from the coast, and of course local and regional
atmospheric conditions.

Evan