Mig wrote:

>Skip wrote:
>
> >And frankly, I'm more freaked by
> >McCain than I am by Palin; he's always struck me as too
> >impulsive.
>
>Wait a minute, and since my credibility is on the line, you can't be saying
>that McCain is *more* impulsive than Palin?  If McCain won, and then
>dropped dead, you can't be suggesting that we would have a better President
>in Palin?  Can you?

Here's what Deepak Chopra has to say, primarily about Palin, but some
more general comments as well:

She is the reverse of Barack Obama, in essence his shadow, deriding
his idealism and exhorting people to obey their worst impulses. In
psychological terms the shadow is that part of the psyche that hides
out of sight, countering our aspirations, virtue, and vision with
qualities we are ashamed to face: anger, fear, revenge, violence,
selfishness, and suspicion of "the other." For millions of Americans,
Obama triggers those feelings, but they don't want to express them.
He is calling for us to reach for our higher selves, and frankly,
that stirs up hidden reactions of an unsavory kind. (Just to be
perfectly clear, I am not making a verbal play out of the fact that
Sen. Obama is black. The shadow is a metaphor widely in use before
his arrival on the scene.) I recognize that psychological analysis of
politics is usually not welcome by the public, but I believe such a
perspective can be helpful here to understand Palin's message. In her
acceptance speech Gov. Palin sent a rousing call to those who want to
celebrate their resistance to change and a higher vision.

Look at what she stands for:
--Small town values -- a denial of America's global role, a return to
petty, small-minded parochialism.
--Ignorance of world affairs -- a repudiation of the need to repair
America's image abroad.
--Family values -- a code for walling out anybody who makes a claim
for social justice. Such strangers, being outside the family, don't
need to be heeded.
--Rigid stands on guns and abortion -- a scornful repudiation that
these issues can be negotiated with those who disagree.
--Patriotism -- the usual fallback in a failed war.
--"Reform" -- an italicized term, since in addition to cleaning out
corruption and excessive spending, one also throws out anyone who
doesn't fit your ideology.

Palin reinforces the overall message of the reactionary right, which
has been in play since 1980, that social justice is liberal-radical,
that minorities and immigrants, being different from "us" pure
American types, can be ignored, that progressivism takes too much
effort and globalism is a foreign threat. The radical right marches
under the banners of "I'm all right, Jack," and "Why change?
Everything's OK as it is." The irony, of course, is that Gov. Palin
is a woman and a reactionary at the same time. She can add mom to
apple pie on her resume, while blithely reversing forty years of
feminist progress. The irony is superficial; there are millions of
women who stand on the side of conservatism, however obviously they
are voting against their own good. The Republicans have won multiple
national elections by raising shadow issues based on fear, rejection,
hostility to change, and narrow-mindedness.