Downhill rollerblading is dagerous I recommend canvas pants all the pads and a full face helmet and mouth guard.  I started riding back in the 80's after seeing a commercial for some ad with a rider poaching red rocks.    So I picked up poles and went to Lincoln's Condo Village and poached the wide access roads after foliage season.  My sweat pants were filled with Charmin. You learn quick about not falling.The first thing I worked on was weighting the outside foot in a kind of snowplow/wedge  and sluffing the speed in the two lane wide linked turns. Using the break at slower speeds is ok but as you get better and learn to ride the single lane you have to work on the power slide.  At higher speeds you can get the wheels to slide in a hockey skate stop.   Climbing the steep hills is a big plus for the  office worker size glutes and inner thighs. You will find as you work on a lower stance in ! the dow nhill that you will twist your obliques as well. Oh yeah...Feel the pain...
    My first blades were the black with lime green soft shells.  I put in the aluminum axel hop up kit replaced the wheels with 100mm speed skake wheels with a low durometer hardness this gives you more adhesion to the pavement as you learn. You will burn up tires faster but it gives you a chance to improve without all the diggers. Bearings are important as well for a faster speed I went with the highest ABEC  standards I could find.   At 35 mph.  focus on keeping your ankles stiff and get into the tuck position.  Once in the tuck position you will start accellerating I have passed cars dropping downhill from Schroon to Ticonderoga.
     The new Rollerblades have a race frame come with the 100mm trucks and with the extended frame the front wheel will now let you practices telemark turns. Tele turns on regular blades will not work as you will toe the pavement .  My addiction to high speed and adrenaline has diminished but I still rip a few lines on the Dorset Street loop for fun. Catch you out there.

From: Denis Bogan <[log in to unmask]>
Yeah, I was into rollerblading for much the same reasons as tn.  One could make great feeling parallel and tele turns on them.  I learned from tn that the way to really mimic the tele feel was to leave all wheels of the rear skate on the pavement; just bend the ankle forward.  This gives a really powerful turn.  Going up on the toe to keep just the front wheel on pavement feels weak and ineffective.  The best tele turns on snow are made with the rear heel as low as you can get it, so it is excellent training.  Alas I lost my blades.  Left them at the trailhead one day and drove away.  I need another pair.  Add it please to my list of retirement toys.

Someone on the list once reported blading downhill on that big long hill on Rt. 100 near Ludlow.  His wheel jammed and his brake jammed and fell off when he was about halfway down.  It was ugly.  I don't even want to think about it.  I had about 1 bad f! all eve ry 3 yrs. on blades and can testify that pavement is a lot harder than snow.