The snow flew, but I'm already in vacation debt so busting out of work was
looking unlikely.  My only option was an early morning or early evening tour
at a close mountain.  Bolton seemed to fit the bill.  I was hoping that they
received close to the amounts of snow I had heard that Stowe got.

Driving up the mountain road, my clutch slipping like a clown on a banana
peel, there was not much snow.  I pulled into the Timberline lot to look up
at the trails.  A quick glance told me that I wanted more snow.  Sure, there
was enough to junkboard on, but I had higher hopes.  Continuing on to the
upper lots, I found 8-10 cars with 4 snowboarders gearing up for a jib
session.  There was more snow up here, but not a lot.  Maybe 6", blowing
around enough that some spots were thin and others were deeper.

Foregoing skins, I ascended up Beach Seal and took a left onto Glades.  It
seemed that trails running right-to-left were holding snow better, so I
wanted to cross as many as I could to look up them.  I ran into a father/son
duo starting down the first good looking patch of snow on Glades and said
hello.  I continued up, bearing left onto a trail I didn't know existed.
Eventually I popped out onto Sherman's Pass, looking directly up Hard Luck.
The lookers right-side had collected snow nicely, so up I went.  On the way
up, I encountered a half dozen folks descending on XC gear, making it look
as difficult as I would imagine it is. The snow, however, proved quite nice.
8-10" in many spots, 1-2" in a few.

I switched over just below a particularly wind-scoured spot and began my
descent.  I had dinner plans for the evening, so topping out was not in the
cards, nor did I think it would provide much better snow than I had in front
of me.  My first turns were wobbly, as they always are on my early season
hikes.  Start centered, fall in to the back seat to cover for sudden
application of nature's e-brakes. After a dozen turns or so, I felt more
comfortable and started smiling.   I continued down the same way I went up,
skiing all the way to my car.

I didn't check my skis for damage, but I doubt there was anything
significant.  Stowe definitely got more snow, but Bolton got enough!  No
photos, I left the camera at home.  I had intended to take a few snaps with
my phone, but that ended up staying in the car, too.

(felt I had to post this to counter my copyright emails after a long period
of little activity on the list.)