On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 09:09:44 -0400, Evan O <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 8:59 AM, ?Jumpin_Jimmy <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>> Had the chance to ski big untracked powder yesterday night and this early
>> am...Mani delivered....stormin' big...A number of Listers made it out, and
>> our
>> midnight booty call was SWEET!
>

>Yup, that about sums it up. Jim, your tracks from 5:30 or so were fully
>obscured when we descended at 7am.  Patience is clearly a virtue when it
>comes to seizing the day (or night), because it seems like the snow really
>picked up at 5 - 6pm yesterday and was still flurrying this a.m.
>
>The only downside of the past 24 hours is that we may not get to ski such
>divine snow again for some months.
>
>Evan

I always have a apprehensive feeling skiing early season.  What looks like
snow sometimes turns out to be something entirely different.  Last night was
an exception.  At one point somewhere amidst the hoots and howls I found my
self heading for something large and lumpish.  Is it snow?  A lurking rock?
 I braced myself for the latter, leaned back a bit and let it go.  I found
myself awash in brightly lit snow for a second or so before I could see my
next turn and the other bouncing lights and flying powder.  Early season
powder seems more refreshing to me for some reason.

SD