Yesterday, two of us got long good looks (scope and binoculars) at a
loon right off the South Hero end of the Colchester Causeway that we
were sure was a Red-Throated, not a Pacific. But so many people have
seen a Pacific Loon right there that I'm needing some confirmation.

Our bird was distinguished by a great deal of white in front, on its
neck and on the lower half-to-two-thirds of its face. The white went
a little above its eye; the loon looked as though it had a curved
white eyebrow against the darker color of the top of its head. There
was some speckling on the back, though not as much as in the Sibley
drawing.

We saw a Common Loon also, but not a Pacific Loon.

Larry Haugh was heading out as we were going back toward the cars.
Larry, did you see the bird we described?

Thanks!

Maeve Kim
Jericho Center