Fully adult BEs with established successful nesting territories
usually stick around as long as there's open water, and then head
south just far enough to find water that hasn't frozen over.  But
until they're old enough to breed successfully (around 6 years, a
year or two after they've developed mostly adult plumage), they
go walkabout in the spring for sometimes huge distances.

I've been told most of the BEs seen at eastern hawkwatches in the
early fall are actually returning younger southern birds, some
from as far as Florida, which seems pretty incredible, but
banding and satellite transmitter studies have documented that
movement.

Here's a recent study of Florida-fledged sub-adult BEs that found
one bird went as far north as Prince Edward Island to spend the
summer.

http://www.articlearchives.com/science-technology/life-forms-birds/957016-1.html

Jane