Tom Ford-Hutchinson and I birded the Colchester causeway from two
directions this afternoon/evening.  Tom started at the south end in
Colchester and walked to the cut while I went up to south hero.  Tom
called me as I was driving up to let me know that he was watching an
owl flying away from the causeway.  When I got up to South Hero, I was
able to watch the owl flying back toward and then past the causeway.
However, it was not a Snowy Owl, as we had expected, but was actually
a SHORT-EARED OWL.  I then moved to another location to get a better
view of the cut, where I watched the owl circle a few times and then
land in a tree (I think on the Colchester end).  However, when I
walked out to the cut, I could not re-find the bird.

Other birds I saw from the South Hero end include:
SCAUP sp.(the very large flock is still just off shore.  I assume both
greater and lesser, but the light was very bad and I did not bother to
differentiate the two.
HORNED GREBE
COMMON GOLDENEYE
MALLARD
BLACK DUCK
BUFFLEHEAD
COMMON MERGANSER
COMMON LOON

Tom mentioned seeing a few other birds in addition to what I saw above
including:
1 DOUBLE-CRESTED CORMORANT
BLACK SCOTER
BONAPARTE'S GULL

(I may have missed a few others that Tom had mentioned)

Michael Lester
UVM