After reading Greg Askew's posting yesterday about the Northern Saw-whet
Owls at Mt. Philo, I just had to try for them. Deb(my better half) and I went
there at 9:00 p.m. I was able to hear a Saw-whet calling but it was really far
away. It called twice and then it was over. Deb didn't get to hear it. We then
drove to Basin Harbor Rd. in Ferrisburg. The first time that we pulled over and
listened we heard nothing. The second time that we pulled over we heard an
Eastern Screech Owl immediately. Then we heard a Great Horned Owl join in.
After a while we heard another Screech Owl calling back to the first one. It
was perfect timing because the calling lasted for about 5 minutes and then it
was over. We made several more stops and heard no more owls. It was 9:51
p.m. when we heard the owls. We headed back for home and decided to stop
at Mt. Philo again. Guess who was there? Yep, Greg Askew and (his better
half) Michelle. They told Deb and I that they had heard a few Saw-whets and
that they were still around. The Askews headed home and we headed for the
north end of the parking lot. It did not take long for us to hear a Saw-whet
Owl calling not more than 100 yds. away. Deb definitely heard this one. We
listened to it calling for about 10 minutes. It was 10:47 p.m. when we heard
this one. While we were walking back to the car it was still calling. The three
different owls were all Life Birds for Deb. It was great conditions to try for
owls this evening and was quite the "treat" for Halloween...

Enjoy Birds,

Jim Mead and Deb