We had an odd experience lastnight. We have pet birds, 2 parakeets and 2
lovebirds. It was about 9:30 p.m. and we were just sitting watching the
Patriots football game. We frequently let the pet birds out of their cages for a
bit of exercise. One of the lovebirds had climbed part way up the curtains that
we have up at our sliding glass door in the living room where we all were. The
curtains were open. All of a sudden we heard this loud thump and the lovebird
flew off away from the slider. It startled all of us as it was very loud. My
husband jumped up and went over to the slider and turned the outside light
on. At first he did not see anything, then he noticed that there was a large
barred owl sitting on top one of the posts that holds some of our many bird
feeders. It was only about 9 feet away from the sliding glass door. So, the owl
looked a bit perplexed for a couple of minutes and then flew away off into the
woods. Thank goodness the owl did not appear injured at all (as it hit the side
of the slider that has the screen over it, which softened the hit for him
somwhat) and our lovebird is still safe as well.
What eyesight the owls must have to see that little lovebird. And we will not
be letting the birds near the sliding glass door at night any longer as well.
We hear barred owls all of the time down here in Bristol as it is a fairly wooded
area. Guess he wanted to be seen as well as heard lastnight...lol.
Debbie Lyter
Bristol, VT