Here are some snow updates and pictures from our area during the past 24 hours or so.  At our house in Waterbury, weíve received a total of 14.2 inches of snow from the recent upslope event, although as my density calculations have suggested itís incredibly light stuff and is settling fast.  As of this morning there were only 7 inches at our stake.  More details and some pictures below:

Saturday, November 22nd, 2008:  3:00 P.M. update from Waterbury, VT

New Snow: 1.8 inches

Liquid Equivalent:  0.07 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 25.7

Snow Density:  3.9%

Temperature:  21.6 F

Humidity:  62%

Dew Point:  7.9 F

Barometer:  30.24 in. Hg

Wind:  Calm

Sky:  Partly Clear/Flurries

Storm snow total:  13.0 inches

Storm liquid equivalent total:  0.31 inches

Current snow at the stake:  9 inches

Season snowfall total:  15.3 inches

The snowfall rate really slowed down today by mid morning and eventually tapered to some blue sky in the afternoon, but not before weíd reached 13.0 inches of accumulation for the event.  That seems like quite a decent total for not even having a storm around, and itís also the largest November event Iíve recorded since 2006 when we moved to Waterbury.  After lunch, Ty and I headed up to check out the scene at Bolton Valley and make some turns.  The temperature was around 20 F in the valley (~300í) and 14 F in the upper village parking lot (~2,100í) in the early afternoon, but it was actually quite comfortable because we didnít have to deal with any significant wind at that point.  There had been some drifting going on, and right when we started skinning from the parking lot I stuck my pole in a drift that was up to the top of my handle.  It was interesting, but even the drifts were composed of rather light snow, and you could walk through some of them like they werenít even there.  So, Iím guessing that the wind wasnít too strong during much of the snowfall.  Ty and I skinned up the Sprig Oí Pine area, and I was getting consistent measurements of between 14 and 15 inches of unconsolidated snow up to the top of the Snowflake Lift (~2,400í).  There was essentially no base snow below the new powder where snowmaking hadnít been done, so I donít know how much of the 14 to 15 inches was new, but Iíd guess most of it.  Iíve heard there is more snow on the upper mountain, but we didnít head up that high.  Although they were making some snow on the lower mountain, many areas hadnít seen any snowmaking.  Rock skis would be highly recommended despite all the snowfall.  A foot or two of upslope snow is good, but when thereís no base you can just sink right down through the fluff and hit a lot of stuff.

In the evening we headed into Burlington, and the distribution of the snow was consistent with what often happens during upslope events; the snow amounts gradually tapered down as we headed westward until there was little if any accumulation in Burlington itself.  It was a pretty striking difference to go from all that new snow to bare ground so quickly.  When we got back from Burlington on Saturday evening around 9:00 P.M. the sky was partly clear and I thought the snowfall would be over, but I woke up to find another 1.2 inches on the board this morning so I collected additional weather data:

Sunday, November 23rd, 2008:  7:00 A.M. update from Waterbury, VT

New Snow: 1.2 inches

Liquid Equivalent:  0.02 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 60.0

Snow Density:  1.7%

Temperature:  14.2 F

Humidity:  70%

Dew Point:  3.4 F

Barometer:  30.33 in. Hg

Wind:  ~5 MPH

Sky:  Mostly Clear

Storm snow total:  14.2 inches

Storm liquid equivalent total:  0.33 inches

Current snow at the stake:  7 inches

Season snowfall total:  16.5 inches

J.Spin

Get more done, have more fun, and stay more connected with Windows Mobileģ. See how. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - SkiVt-L is brought to you by the University of Vermont.