Salutations all,

Two interesting articles on slashdot this mornin'.

1) "Scientists at UCLA have accidentally created a material that will
some day give us better, faster, cheaper, more flexible digital
cameras. I toured their lab and shot a photo essay for Wired.
Personally I'm looking forward to a quantum-dot embedded camera sensor
someday soon. 'Graduate student Hsiang-Yu Chen was working on a new
formula for solar cells when something went wrong. Instead of creating
electricity when hit with light, the conductivity of the material she
was working with changed. "The original purpose [was] to make a solar
cell more efficient," says Chen. "However, during the research we
found the solar cell phenomenon [had] disappeared." Instead, the test
material showed high gain photoconductivity, indicating potential use
as a photo sensor.'"

FULL ARTICLE:
http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/multimedia/2008/12/gallery_photodetector

2) Nifty little article called "Artists Ship" by Paul Graham
(http://paulgraham.com/artistsship.html) -- some of you may have read
this already.

Enjoy,
Michael E. Karpeles