From: "Eric Hall" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Saturday, December 20, 2008 8:33:17 PM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: Re: Untangle gateway

Since Vince has opened the ol’ filtering can-o-worms, here’s my response & additional question:

We continue to use iPrism, and I am still (mostly) satisfied. It does integrate with Active Directory, although we have not yet implemented that piece (soon to come) and have always filtered by IP. Since staff have the ability to override, this has not been too much of an issue. The appliance offers ease of use, config and access as well as good reporting (if necessary) and a sufficient diversity of categories to turn off/on/monitor as well as the ability to block IM/P2P ports and proxies.

The drawbacks that are starting to annoy: since we rely on “review” by St. Bernard, anything not reviewed (new sites, small & obscure sites, our own sites, local sites, etc) is rated “other” and by necessity we have that closed. This means building a whitelist of unrated sites we want access to. The more infuriating issue lately is the proliferation of video sites that stream from anonymous servers (caching with Google, Akamia, or their own secondary server by IP). While it is easy to either whitelist or override to get to the “gateway” sites, I have had many circumstances where the only way to get their content is to drop the filter completely. A quick look at Netstat tells me where it is coming from, but many of these services (CBS News, for instance) stream from a variety of servers at different times – load balancing, I imagine. The word-cloud tool “Wordle” gave me similar issues: java content coming from Google’s servers, but different ones at different times of day.

How do Untangle and others handle this? Are other folks having similar issues?

Eric

on 12/20/08 4:56 PM, Vincent Rossano wrote:

Sorry list folks, my last message was intended for Bryant Patten, not the list-at-large.  However,  I wouldn't mind opening up the ol' filtration frustration discussion again.  Anybody else have any advice as to what we might look at that would allow us to filter by user login?

-Vince