Thank you - again - Bryant, Bjorn and others who've chimed in on this.  It sounds like Untangle would work for us (on the PC side, anyway) if we were running AD, but we're not.  We're still using Novell's eDirectory (nee NDS) for our directory services on the PC side.  8e6 does a pretty good job with eDir authentication, so that's a plus for us, but it doesn't have anyway to automatically authenticate a Mac user - and thats a very BIG minus.  Mac users are very unhappy.  As I think I mentioned earlier, it will read Apple's Open LDAP database, but not automatically.  It's that additional (and, sometimes, multiple) login that makes it so annoying.

Other schools must have this situation, i.e., computers shared with both faculty and students.  How do you differentiate in order to provide the freedom the faculty wants vs. the restriction that CIPA requires for students?

-Vince

--

Vincent Rossano
Information Technology Director