While I agree with Carrol and Alex about the effect of the "drug war," they might do better to come up with some evidence that this was the "purpose" of it, unless they are speaking metaphorically. Otherwise it comes off as rhetoric that would not be very convincing to most people, especially as it treats the "ruling class" as some sort of monolithic group--a characterization that sophisticated leftists got past about 40 years ago.

MB