Au contraire -- the methane is burned to CO2, a far less potent greenhouse gas.  It's unburned flats that are the problem.  With a bit of tubing and some plastic bags, those of us who are most green could save them for future use -- to power a vehicle, or fuel a stove or furnace.  Or best of all, to run a cogenerator that produces both heat and electricity.  "Be a smarter farter..."

Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2008 14:17:41 +0100From: [log in to unmask]: Re: Liposunctioning our fuelTo: [log in to unmask] not happy about the extra methane boost, that could contribute to global warming.I think we need to search for alternative, non-invasive procedures. Why not hitch our cars up to teams of fat people? We convert their calories to energy and they lose weight, a win-win situation.With apologies to any fat people on this list, although in my view obesity is a moral issue--especially in fat-laden countries like the United States.MB
On Fri, Dec 26, 2008 at 2:01 PM, Eric Entemann <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Why not dispense with the surgeon?  Someone should invent a device so that chubby folks could connect themselves directly to the refiner that feeds the fuel tank.  As a bonus, the flatulence after a large meal could provide that extra methane boost for acceleration, as diesels are notoriously sluggish.

Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2008 07:17:32 +0100From: [log in to unmask]: Re: Liposunctioning our fuelTo: [log in to unmask]

This seems like a very sensible idea to me, and one of Louis' more substantial contributions to this list.MB
On Thu, Dec 25, 2008 at 10:19 PM, Louis R Godena <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

How a Beverly Hills doctor powered his SUV using his patients' spare tires.
Liposuctioning unwanted blubber out of pampered Los Angelenos may not seem like a dream job, but it has its perks. Free fuel is one of them. For a time, Beverly Hills doctor Craig Alan Bittner turned the fat he removed from patients into biodiesel that fueled his Ford SUV and his girlfriend's Lincoln Navigator.
full:
http://www.forbes.com/technology/2008/12/21/fat-fuel-biodiesel-tech-sciences-cz_pcb_1222fatfuel.html?partner=executive_picks_newsletter-- ******************************************Michael BalterContributing Correspondent, ScienceAdjunct Professor of Journalism,Boston UniversityEmail:           [log in to unmask]:       michaelbalter.comBalter's Blog: michael-balter.blogspot.com******************************************

Send e-mail anywhere. No map, no compass. Get your HotmailŽ account now.-- ******************************************Michael BalterContributing Correspondent, ScienceAdjunct Professor of Journalism,Boston UniversityEmail:           [log in to unmask]:       michaelbalter.comBalter's Blog: michael-balter.blogspot.com******************************************
Life on your PC is safer, easier, and more enjoyable with Windows VistaŽ.
http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/127032870/direct/01/