In France, McDonald's has been wildly successful not because people have
adopted American culture but because it offers an alternative to the French
three-course meal and allows young people to eat out without spending money
they don't have (McDo, as they call it here, is not cheap, but much less
expensive than eating in a real restaurant.) Plus, people like the way the
food tastes--just as in America itself.

American culture has made much greater inroads in France via its cinema,
which is hugely popular--in fact, many first run films open in France around
the same time they do in the USA and stay around longer.

MB

On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 7:15 AM, Phil Gasper <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> http://www.alternet.org/mediaculture/116085/burger_king_serves_up_cultural_imperialism/
> **
>
> *Burger King Serves Up Cultural Imperialism*
> BK's new advertising campaign proudly celebrates the cultural imperialism
> that Americans have become so famous for.
>
> * By Jon Steinman <http://www.alternet.org/authors/10237/>, Deconstructing
> Dinner <http://www.deconstructingdinner.ca/>. Posted December 29, 2008<http://www.alternet.org/ts/archives/?date%5BF%5D=12&date%5BY%5D=2008&date%5Bd%5D=29&act=Go/>
> *
>
> Perhaps you've already heard the buzz. In late November, Burger King (BK)
> launched a marketing gimmick called Whopper Virgins. The campaign would be
> waged via the Internet as well as a series of television ads directing
> people to the Whopper Virgins web site.
>
> Whopper Virgins is the product of American PR firm Crispin-Porter and
> Bogusky. The company employed a film-crew to travel the globe and introduce
> BK's famous Whopper hamburger to people in some of the world's most
> far-flung places. Inuit of Greenland, Transylvanian farmers, and the Hmong
> of Thailand were among those targeted for the experiment.
>
> It was hoped that Americans would be fascinated to see the reactions of
> such 'foreign' people tasting the homogenous staple of American fast-food --
> the hamburger.
>
> In some cases, participants were also engaged in a taste-test to compare
> McDonald's Big Mac with the BK Whopper.
>
> While it was likely not the intention of BK or its hired PR firm, the
> Whopper Virgins campaign has revealed the sheer ignorance of Western
> culture, and has managed to proudly celebrate the cultural imperialism that
> North Americans have become so famous for.
>
> Located on the campaign's web site is an approximately seven minute video
> that showcases the film-crew's Whopper expedition.
>
> In the early stages of the film, a member of the crew is recorded
> expressing his excitement at the de-virginizing of the Hmong people:
> "They've never seen such a foreign piece of food before," he proclaims.
> "They didn't know how to pick it up."
>
> Maybe I'm being picky here, but of course the Hmong of Thailand have not
> seen a 'foreign' piece of food before, that's what makes it 'foreign'!
>
> I'd be curious to observe whether or not this member of the film crew would
> be as amazed with himself upon being presented with a bowl of salted
> crickets (insects being a staple of many cultures) only to then realize he
> doesn't know how to use the chopsticks placed beside the bowl. Hmm, that
> could make a good film!
>
> The Whopper Virgins film continues with an animated map of the world, and a
> diagram of where the film crew (and Whoppers) will be travelling to. The
> same person who was shocked to see people who had never seen a hamburger is
> heard narrating in na´ve wonder: "You're going to go all around the world
> [...]

Michael Balter
Contributing Correspondent, Science
Adjunct Professor of Journalism,
Boston University