Wednesday, December 24th, 2008:  3:00 P.M. update from Waterbury, VT

New Snow: 0.6 inches

Liquid Equivalent:  0.10 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 6.0

Snow Density:  16.7%

Temperature:  32.5 F

Humidity:  92%

Dew Point:  29.6 F

Barometer:  30.00 in. Hg

Wind:  Calm

Sky:  Cloudy

Storm snow total:  1.0 inches

Storm liquid equivalent total:  0.13 inches

Current snow at the stake:  17 inches

Season snowfall total:  74.3 inches

We headed up to the mountain for some turns this afternoon, so here’s a combined valley and mountain weather update.  It wasn’t really snowing at the house (495’) when we left, but it was snowing on the mountain when we got up there at around 11:30 A.M., and the temperature was 30 F in the Bolton Valley Village (~2,100’).  Bolton indicated that they’d received 1 inch of new snow in their morning report, and I’d say they probably got another inch while we were up there.  The snowfall on the mountain was generally moderate, probably in the 0.5”/hr range.  There was only minimal if any wind for most of the time we were there, but there were a few stronger periods with gusts when some of the heavier snowfall would come through.  It sounds like part of that bout of snow hit the valley and deposited the accumulation I found on the snowboard, because my wife said it had started snowing pretty hard at the house not long after we’d left.  The snow on the mountain had stopped by the time we were heading home, and the air had warmed a bit as well.  My car thermometer read 34 F at the village (2,100’) and bumped up to 35 F as we descended to ~1,000’, but then was back to 34 F when we hit the bottom of the access road (340’).  Then as we headed a few miles east toward the house, it dropped some more, hitting 33 F and then 32 F as we got within the last half mile to the house where my household thermometer was reading 32.5 F.  So, the higher elevations were a bit warmer than our spot in the valley, but not dramatically so at around the 2,000’ mark.

In terms of the ski conditions, all I can say is that they were fantastic on the lower mountain terrain we hit.  With feet of new snow falling in the past week, the conditions were already soft, and the couple new inches from today just added a little icing on the cake.  We didn’t hunt down too much powder today with Dylan along and Ty working on Telemark technique, but where we did jump into the powder it was nice.  The powder wasn’t as light and airy as Saturday; it was more like the light to medium density stuff from Sunday/Monday.  The temperatures were great at right around the freezing mark, and I guess the holiday rush doesn’t start quite yet because there was hardly anyone there.  Even arriving at close to noon we were able to park halfway down in the top tier of the lot.  We skied with my colleague Stephen and his children Helena and Johannes, and everyone agreed that the conditions were stellar.   We skied the Mid Mountain Chair (Snowflake wasn’t running) and the snow in the Forest was an awesome mix of soft packed powder and powder off to the sides.  I also spoke with patroller Quinn, and he said that the latest news he’d heard on Timberline and Wilderness was that the resort planned to open them Friday.  I’m sure the openings will be a bit weather dependent since they are essentially on all natural snow, but as Quinn indicated and numerous others have mentioned in trip reports, Timberline is skiing very well.  I can see what look like a few spots with vegetation sticking out each time I go by, but obviously they feel there will be enough coverage (perhaps they’ll touch up with snowmaking over the next couple of days?) to open.

J.Spin

It’s the same Hotmail®. If by “same” you mean up to 70% faster. Get your account now. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - SkiVt-L is brought to you by the University of Vermont.