Tuesday, December 30th, 2008:  6:00 A.M. update from Waterbury, VT

New Snow: 1.0 inches

Liquid Equivalent:  0.05 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 20.0

Snow Density:  5.0%

Temperature:  33.4 F

Humidity:  84%

Dew Point:  27.6 F

Barometer:  29.56 in. Hg

Wind:  0-5 MPH

Sky:  Light Snow

Storm snow total:  1.0 inches

Storm liquid equivalent total:  0.05 inches

Current snow at the stake:  8 inches

Season snowfall total:  75.9 inches

I looked outside around 11:00 P.M. or so last night and we didn’t have any snow falling here in Waterbury, but it looked like it was getting close based on the radar.  The snow that is falling is a mixture of flakes sizes, with some flakes close to 1 inch in diameter, and I even saw a little graupel in there.  The accumulated snow on the board is actually fairly dense in terms of H2O, which is not too surprising based on our air temperature.  I’d put it at >10% H2O, and it compacts very nicely into those airy style snowballs that you can throw without worrying about hurting someone.  I stacked 3 cores off the board to get the snow’s water content, and I’m very confident in the number, but the 5% density is probably a bit misleading in terms of overall texture since the huge snowflakes stack up on top very readily and give it a bit of fluff.  In that same vein, there’s already another 0.7 inches on the board as of 7:00 A.M. because of the huge flakes stacking up.

In terms of the local valley snowpack, it seems to be doing well east of the Green Mountains, but as usual I was surprised to see how quickly it had disappeared on the west side and Champlain Valley.  After returning from Southern New England on Saturday, I first headed west of the Greens on Sunday afternoon, and as soon as I traveled a few miles west and passed the Green Mountain spine the snowpack quickly disappeared.  In the Bolton/Jonesville area, coverage was probably in the 10-20% range, and that decreased to mostly snowbanks in the Champlain Valley.  I’ve added a copy of my Waterbury snowpack chart below for reference on our local area.

UPDATE – Since about 7:05 A.M. we’ve got a raging graupel storm going on out there.  It would have to qualify as heavy snow because I can stick my arm out the window and it becomes coated in white in just a few seconds.  It will be interesting to see how much liquid equivalent that graupel throws down.

J.Spin

Send e-mail faster without improving your typing skills. Get your Hotmail® account. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - SkiVt-L is brought to you by the University of Vermont.