Why not use a document delivery service? See http://www.docdel.net/
for a list or NLM's service at
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/psd/cas/illhome.html. I used TDI for a long
time (they're in California so the time difference speeded up service
(see http://www.tdico.com/).
I found that the charge was about what it cost me (in time) to do it
myself and they could handle larger volumes than I could. Also, they
didn't need complete information and verified what I sent them. I set
a max charge without notifying me first.
Contact me for more information.

Judith

At 02:43 PM 12/5/2008, Julie Stielstra wrote:
>Just toying with an idea here...  I'm a solo, and hitting the wall.  Adding
>a staff position is not going to happen.  But I sure wish I could offload
>some of the ILL work.  The flow is erratic (one day, there are five
>requests, the next day, it's thirty five...).  The vast majority of all
>transactions are purely electronic.  So I'm wondering if it might be
>feasible to set up a position filled by a contracted person, working
>remotely / from home, paid on an hourly basis, who checks in on requests
>daily, fills what there is, and is paid accordingly.  Anyone done anything
>like this?  One concern would be effect on turnaround time and timely
>response - if the person fills all ILL requests in the morning and signs
>off, how do I cover urgent / other stuff that comes in later in the day?
>I'm just thinking out loud, here... any thoughts?
>
>--
>Julie Stielstra, MLS
>Supervisor, Knowledge Resource Library
>Central DuPage Hospital
>25 N Winfield Rd
>Winfield, IL 60190
>phone 630-933-4536
>fax     630-933-4530
>email jstielstra [ at ]  gmail.com

Judith A. Siess, B.A., M.A., M.S.L.I.S.
INFORMATION BRIDGES INTERNATIONAL, INC.   /I\B/I\
830 Sedgegrass Drive, Champaign, IL 61822-2024 USA
voice: +1-217-355-9071, fax: +1-217-355-9072, email: [log in to unmask],
on the web at http://www.ibi-opl.com AND NOW BLOGGING at
http://opls.blogspot.com/
Publisher and Editor of The One-Person Library: A Newsletter for
Librarians and Management
Out Front with Stephen Abram: A Guide for Information Leaders, ALA
Editions, 2007, ISBN-13: 978-0-8389-0932-4
The New OPL Sourcebook: A Guide for Solo and Small Libraries,
Information Today, Inc., 2006, ISBN 1-57387-241-5
The Essential OPL, 1998-2004: The Best of Seven Years of The
One-Person Library: A Newsletter for Librarians and Management,
      Scarecrow Press, 2005, ISBN 0-8108-5429-5
The Visible Librarian: Asserting Your Value With Marketing and
Advocacy, ALA Editions, 2003, ISBN 0-8389-0848-9
Time Management, Planning and Prioritization for Librarians,
Scarecrow Press, 2002, ISBN 0-8108-4438-9