I can't stand it anymore - I've got to share one of my favorites from
shortly after I began working here a number of years ago. We routinely
kept high-theft books locked in the staff room (coincidentally next to
my desk) when the library wasn't staffed (we are open 24X7 to staff). An
orthopedic surgery resident asked to borrow one of the very expensive
standard orthopedic surgery texts. I told him that he would need to
return the book before closing (which did not please him.) He came in
the next morning before I arrived and asked a coworker where to find
"the blonde who hoards the books in the back" and was told to come back
later. When I arrived he cornered me and told me that it was urgent that
he check that book out because (get this) he had an operation to perform
that morning and he had to have the book in the OR!!! I don't know about
all of you but we don't encourage folks to take our ref texts into the
operating theater. "Surgery by the book"?!  The coup de gras? He stormed
out muttering that he'd just have to go home and get his own copy...
(note to self - get that doc's name - he sure won't be operating on
anyone in my family)

Lisa Blackwell
Serials Librarian
Nationwide Children's Hospital

>I am sure many of you can relate similar experiences. My recent
>experiences, and no, I am not making this up:.....
------------------
----------------------------------------- Confidentiality Notice:
The following mail message, including any attachments, is for the
sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential
and privileged information. The recipient is responsible to
maintain the confidentiality of this information and to use the
information only for authorized purposes. If you are not the
intended recipient (or authorized to receive information for the
intended recipient), you are hereby notified that any review, use,
disclosure, distribution, copying, printing, or action taken in
reliance on the contents of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If
you have received this communication in error, please notify us
immediately by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original
message. Thank you.