From: Medical Libraries Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
On Behalf Of Jeuell, Carol A.
Sent: Wednesday, December 03, 2008 3:04 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Surgeons needing medical information - purpose of the medical
library

Colleagues,

I have some thoughts about the recent discussions concerning "seeing it
all" in a medical library and surgeons needing surgical information. It
is not reasonable to expect that surgeons have memorized every kind of
surgery that they need to do. I expect them to be knowledgeable in
surgical techniques but don't expect that they have memorized every
surgical approach possible for every operation possible. Surgery books
are usually very big and heavy and not easily transported back and forth
from home. It is also not reasonable to expect every doctor to remember
every medical fact that he/she has ever learned.

The purpose of a medical library is to support the health information
needs of the hospital staff----and preferably 24 hours per day, 7 days
per week for 365 days per year.  The medical knowledge needs of
physicians especially surgeons and the patients that they treat are best
served when the information needs of the physicians are freely and
easily met.

Carol

Carol Jeuell, MSLS, AHIP

Reference Librarian

Brennemann Library

Children's Memorial Hospital

2300 Children's Plaza

Chicago, IL 60614

773-880-4210

773-880-3833 - fax

----------------------------------------- Confidentiality Notice:
The following mail message, including any attachments, is for the
sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential
and privileged information. The recipient is responsible to
maintain the confidentiality of this information and to use the
information only for authorized purposes. If you are not the
intended recipient (or authorized to receive information for the
intended recipient), you are hereby notified that any review, use,
disclosure, distribution, copying, printing, or action taken in
reliance on the contents of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If
you have received this communication in error, please notify us
immediately by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original
message. Thank you.