From: Medical Libraries Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Miller, Lou
Sent: Friday, December 05, 2008 2:53 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: I'm enjoying the hospital Library stories!

I've had my share of physicians asking for peculiar things but I have
always found the community members more interesting and sometimes
frightening.
I recall one gentleman came in wanting information on the Gulf War
Syndrome. I gave him several books and found a few articles for him
which he proceeded to read .....out loud.  He would quiet down when I
asked him to only to start reading out loud again when he read something
he didn't like. That progressed to glaring at me and finally saying that
he was sick because of people like me. Since we were the only ones in
the library at the time I quickly dialed the emergency security number
and had him escorted out of the building.  It turns out  he had been a
patient on our mental health unit the week before..

Then there was the time a guard brought a patient (gang banger
recovering from a gunshot wound) in via wheelchair and handcuffs.  The
guard tried to leave to go get a cup of coffee. Ah I think not!

Lou Miller, Medical Librarian
Riverside HealthCare System
350 N. Wall St.
Kankakee, IL  60901