Sunday, December 21st, 2008:  10:00 P.M. update from Waterbury, VT

New Snow: 3.8 inches

Liquid Equivalent:  0.28 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 13.6

Snow Density:  7.4%

Temperature:  18.3 F

Humidity:  90%

Dew Point:  14.7 F

Barometer:  29.44 in. Hg

Wind:  0-5 MPH

Sky:  Moderate Snow

Storm snow total:  10.5 inches

Storm liquid equivalent total:  0.67 inches

Current snow at the stake:  21 inches

Season snowfall total:  70.4 inches

When I checked the snowboard at 8:00 P.M. it had accumulated 1.7 inches of new snow since the 4:00 P.M. clearing, so snowfall was running a bit under 0.5”/hr.  I looked outside at around 9:30 P.M. and it appeared to be dumping again in the 1”/hr+ range, so I took a quick measurement and found that the accumulation was up to 2.8 inches.  The rate of snowfall had certainly increased.  I took a peek at the BTV composite radar (image 1 below) and sure enough, an area of 30-35 db returns was just passing over us (we’re located right about where I-89 crosses the Chittenden/Washington county line).  That snowfall slowed down as I was getting set to take my 10:00 P.M. measurements and clear the snowboard, but looking westward on the radar there appeared to be some very juicy stuff coming our way, with even more 35 db returns in the Burlington area.  While I was out looking at the stake and clearing the board, the snowfall was already ramping up, presumably as we were on the verge of those strong returns, and I suspected we were going to get into some quick accumulation.  We did.  I knew the snowfall rate was 1”/hr plus from looking at it, but I wasn’t sure just how intense the snowfall was until I checked the board at 10:30 P.M. and it had a fresh 1.2 inches.  So, the snowfall is running in the 2-3”/hr range.  On the radar, it really looks like Mother Nature is spraying a fire hose down the Winooski Valley (image 2 below), so I’ll probably stay up a bit longer and see how this plays out because it’s quite a spectacle out there.

-- Here’s the 11:00 P.M. update on the heavy snowfall here in Waterbury:  The accumulation on my snowboard went from 1.2 inches at 10:30 P.M. to 2.6 inches at 11:00 P.M., so that’s 1.4 inches in that 30 minute period for a rate of close to 3”/hr.  We’ve passed 13 inches of accumulation now, so this event is threatening to usurp the November 20th upslope event and become our biggest so far this season.  The radar suggests that things are slowing down however, and the strong returns are disappearing, but I’ll see where we are at 11:30 P.M.

-- 11:30 P.M. - The heavy snow has slowed right down to light snow as the radar suggested, so just 0.3” in the last 30 minutes to bring the snowboard to 2.9”.  It looks like another batch of something might come across Lake Champlain in a bit, but I’ll check the snowboard in the morning.

J.Spin

It’s the same Hotmail®. If by “same” you mean up to 70% faster. Get your account now. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - SkiVt-L is brought to you by the University of Vermont.