Wednesday, December 17th, 2008:  6:00 A.M. update from Waterbury, VT

New Snow: 3.6 inches
Liquid Equivalent:  0.39 inches
Snow/Water Ratio: 9.2
Snow Density:  10.8%
Temperature:  20.7 F
Humidity:  83%
Dew Point:  14.6 F
Barometer:  30.30 in. Hg
Wind:  Calm
Sky:  Snow/Heavy Snow
Storm snow total:  3.6 inches
Storm liquid equivalent total:  0.39 inches
Current snow at the stake:  8 inches
Season snowfall total:  43.2 inches

There was no snow falling at our house in Waterbury when I last looked outside at around 11:00 P.M. last night, and I expected to wake up to an inch or two this morning, but found 3.6 inches on the snowboard and snow falling at a rate somewhere between moderate and heavy.  I didn’t have a chance to meticulously monitor snowfall rates, but putting numbers on it I’d say it was falling at somewhere between 1/2 and 1 inch per hour, which is a decent amount of liquid falling from the sky based on the water content I determined.  I couldn’t believe there was already almost 4/10 of an inch of liquid in just those 3.6 inches, but the flakes are mainly small, with diameters in the 1-2 mm range along with some needles, so the snow has only moderate loft.  It appears as if the Burlington area is also doing well from this event, as I measured ~4 inches of snow accumulation here on the UVM campus (380’) as of ~7:00 A.M.  With the liquid equivalent we’ve picked up so far just from part of this event, and the way the parade of storms is lined up to affect us in the coming days, it appears as though the snowpack is poised to get a good bolstering and resurfacing at all elevations.

J.Spin