On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 20:24:35 -0500, Christian T <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>my friend who is a guide for raineer mountaineering inc. pointed out that most
>people just have them dangling over their shoulders while riding which is a
big
>mistake. he said they are only good if you ride with them in your mouth at all
>times,

This is just wrong. I had the Avalung 1 and now have the 2. I do not go heli
skiing without it. You set it up so that the mouthpiece is right where you
can turn and put it in your mouth and bite down. You dont ski with it in
your mouth. As with a beacon you need to practice with it.

I think as long as you could relax and not hyperventilate or succumb to the
cold then you could stay buried for a very long time.