I've got an avilung 2 that i use when skiing BC out west. I think it
might be the only piece of safety equipment that doesn't inspire
recklessness just because the thought of betting buried is so
unpleasant to start with.

side note: avilung 2's might not be a great choice if you like to hit
larger cliffs: last season i hit a ~30 footer at the canyons and my
knee came up in the compression and hit the buckle on the avilung into
my rib hard enough to break it.

re: backpack avilungs - the thought I've heard is that if its
integrated into something you use all the time, it removes any choice
about leaving it at home from the equation. you always have it with
you and are consequently more likely to use it. Wes R. has one and it
seems like a good idea, and i'd get one too except that i just don't
like how the backpack fits me.

sam