Wednesday, December 17th, 2008:  5:00 P.M. update from Waterbury, VT

New Snow: 2.6 inches

Liquid Equivalent:  0.26 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 10.0

Snow Density:  10.0%

Temperature:  27.7 F

Humidity:  84%

Dew Point:  21.9 F

Barometer:  30.06 in. Hg

Wind:  Calm

Sky:  Light Snow/Flurries

Storm snow total:  6.2 inches

Storm liquid equivalent total:  0.65 inches

Current snow at the stake:  9 inches

Season snowfall total:  45.8 inches

We’ve had very light snow most of the evening, but it’s so light that there’s not even a tenth of an inch of additional snow on the snowboard as of ~9:30 P.M.  We put almost 2/3 of an inch of liquid equivalent into the snowpack with this event down here, so the local mountains should have done at least that well, and the snow is pretty decent medium-weight resurfacing material.

With the dump of fresh snow and mild temperatures, the boys and I headed up to Bolton to catch some evening runs under the lights.  We got up to the mountain to find that the cloud deck was right at the village elevation (~2,100’) and the temperature was around 30 degrees F.  We stuck to the lower mountain, riding the mid mountain lift, and from what I heard about the conditions before this event, it sounds like they got a nice resurfacing – at least for the beginner and intermediate terrain that we skied.  They were reporting 8 new inches, and there was still a lot of loose snow around, enough that we couldn’t ski Bear Run/Sprig O’ Pine because it just wasn’t steep enough for Dylan to keep moving.  So we switched over to Beech Seal and that worked out well.  You could still occasionally touch down to the old base, but this new snow was dense enough that it really seemed to stick well and cover everything.  There was still a good amount of untracked powder off to the sides of Beech Seal and the boys and I had a lot of fun with that.  Below I’ve added a summary of the accumulations reported by some of the Vermont ski areas, listed north to south along the Green Mountain spine.

Jay Peak:  8 inches (5:00 P.M.)

Smuggler’s Notch:  11 inches  (4:05 P.M.)

Stowe:  8 inches (12:50 P.M.)

Bolton Valley:   8 inches (6:15 P.M.)

Mad River Glen:  6 inches (4:22 P.M.)

Sugarbush:  9 inches (2:49 P.M.)

Killington:  8 inches

Okemo:  4 inches (2:25 P.M.)

Bromley:  3 inches (7:20 A.M.)

Magic Mountain:  3 inches (8:00 A.M.)

Stratton:  6 inches (3:15 P.M.)

Mount Snow:  4 inches

J.Spin

Send e-mail faster without improving your typing skills. Get your Hotmail® account. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - SkiVt-L is brought to you by the University of Vermont.