At BBA one tech credit is mandatory. The classes below, a dig art class or
one of three dig film courses could fit the bill.

We teach an intro class called Digital Exploration. Usually Freshman take
it. It overs Google Apps, Oo, Office, iWork, iLife, logo programming,
Sketchup. Publishing tools with those office packages on through inDesign
etc. Digital art with Photoshop, Gimp, Illustrator. Then they do a week on
Google Earth, online photo sharing. OS explorations, file access, saving,
storing, archiving, web searching, citing sources along the way. It's a
semester long course.

eDesign covers digital art and web publishing. A few freshman and senior
take this. Mostly sophomore - junior.

We run a hardware networking intro course on through advanced student
mentors in class. Mostly sophomore through senior. The advanced students
help run the lab and prep stations for jangin' (tinkering). Computer
hardware, software os installs on multiple platforms, basic networking, home
networking, netwrok history, the web etc. We farm out computers to kids for
experiments at home as we can. We accept working donations only and refit
them for basic use... online or offline as the recipient sees fit. Open
source software pakages Oo and Gimp. others as the student sees fit. Tux
apps if there are young kids in the household... or old kids to play with.
The student and parents/guardians sign a form... no responsibility or
warrantee on the schools part. Most keep the computers. Some bring them
back. We've farmed out 67 computers so far in three years and 37 used iPods.
Many folks seem to value the program and some alumni have been bringing
stations back as they move on to get their own machines. Love it.

I teach 3 sections of a class called RLab. It's available in a semester or
year long offering. A few sohomores and mostly juniors and seniors. The Lab
is centered around students doing indy projects and create a journal,
syllabus and presentation ala OpenCourseWare at MIT on "something that
involves technology." This allows us to cover diverse student interest
ranging from programming to thoroughbred horse racing technology in the same
room. Exploring personal interest in the class is key and has also helped
the gender equity. All three sections this semester have higher female than
male enrollment. Topics covered so far listed here:
http://classes.burrburton.org/cis/aprovost/About/StudyProjects.html

I mentor all RLab projects and students must find at least one 'community
consultant / business' to help spur on each project too. Saves me learning
the intricacies of thoroughbred horse racing technology.

Students choose up to to three 5 week projects per semester or two or one
project over an indefinite time frame during the semester, cross semester or
even years. One student took RLab 5 times and worked his way on through
professional certifications as an example. Another new they were headed for
art school and dedicated three semesters to a digital art. Another took the
class four times and worked on 6 different projects ranging from amphibious
vehicles to java programming and CAD. All projects are archived for future
students ala MIT OpenCourseWare style. That way students have all their
peers research at hand and learn the annals of archiving and the creation
value... rather than just turning it in to me and it falling into the void.
Archiving alone boosts the level of project work. Each student must present
at the end of their indy study project to move onto the next or a minimum of
once per semester. Not binding folks to one project per semester or year ala
traditional course topics is what participants here cite they love the most.
The chance to try things...

Layered on the RLab indy projects we cover the following in the class (cut
and paste from a intro doc we have):

<<<
- Digital ethics / responsibility: PBS "Growing Up Online" series and cases
from around the country on misuse, abuse, digital predators and the traits
and trends involved in each case. We look at the evolution of our own
"Acceptable Use Policy," now retitled "Network Usage Agreement" and any
other AUPs or the like we can get offline from other schools. Intersting
stuff ranging from open access to only filtering porn to 100% lockdowns on
stations, banning search engines, web 2.0 sites etc. Makes for pretty lively
discussions. We discuss the history of some stances in education on civil
rights, rock and roll, sex ed and substance abuse programs and it gives
students a clearer understanding on some folks perception on technology use
in education. Another cycle... another evolution. Takes time.

- Discussions on CIPA, FERPA and the history of access in the RLab over 3
years. Totally restricted machines to todays 'almost' open labs here today
where we only block porn. "With great power comes great responsibility." We
actually do play the clip from Spider Man on that quote and discuss what
'educational / shared bandwidth use' means. Machines groups that allow
advanced access to all the tools above in well supervised Labs. It's a
discussion on responsibility and the trials of access over the years, and
the conflict of opening up access for students to more relevant work with
these tools rather than discussing them theoretically or not at all.

- We go over that great ditty from MIT: 20% of the capacity of a computer is
used for information (I've always loathed the term "Information Technology"
anyway) in web browsing, email and such. The other 80% sits in the creative
capacity of computers. So... how do we get on to exploring that other 80%?

- Learning to use software vs being taught how to use each piece of
software.

- Philosophy of education: Specifically behaviorist and constructivist.
Changing landscape of education:
Sections of books covered listed here:
http://classes.burrburton.org/cis/aprovost/About/bib.html
Gardners multiple intelligences: For and against.
OLPC (laptop.org)
Shifts in literacy, information filtering.

- 10 days minimum on what we call "functional public speaking training"
spread throughout a semester. Intro to the elements of good speech making,
considerations for archiving. Students to three impromptu speeches, two
2-minute speeches, one tribute speech and prepping for their indy project
speech to the class. We do 2 minute and impromptu speeches early on in teh
semester. Gets everyone loosened up and collaborating.

- One to one computing.

- Open Source: Online tools listed below, Oo, Tux series, Sourceforge, Phun,
Gimp etc and OS:  Ebuntu, Fedora (intros only and demos). Comparing features
to traditional business apps stability, virus and spyware issues.

- Operating systems: Linux (Ubuntu, Linspire, Fedora... those three
primarily), Mac, Windows. Discussion on using bennies of using Linux on
older hardware especially.

- We discuss the news: Watch the movie Good Night, and Good Luck. Discuss
the Murrow / Cronkite era, a few articles (Rottenberg / NBC ditty) and the
"new" vision of the news as a paparazzi / speculation engine.

< Looking at how each major network covered the Presidential election alone
was an eye opener for students>

We read and gab over a few good articles on the subject and routinely chat
over the news at the beginning of each class (about 10 minutes).

- Aggregation / Networkin':

Pageflakes, Diigo, Google Reader and Google home page (ig), etc. Students
have to find one they like and keep at least one personal page with a
minimum of 7 feeds on their project topic at the time. We go over pitfalls
and strengths of aggregating data and one page on new trends.

Twitter

Delicious and Diig: Students use this one all semester or year to doc ument
their own research and network to others with like interests. One of the
favorite research tools here thus far.

- Citing research into their own work: MLA, APA, digital ethics. EasyBib,
snap ins, Google Docs. What works and what doesn't. Ethics of "intellectual
property." How they'd feel if their work were stolen... very lively
discussion.

- Brittanica and Wikipedia: Scope, accuracy etc.

- Google Apps: Collaborative writing assignments, search based apps, Google
Gears, adjusting settings and features.

- We discuss this changing phone landscape often and new models that come
out. Those that don't have phones team up with someone who does. Those that
have phones we explore calendar integration, including subscribing to school
academic, event and extra curricular calendars of their choice. Not
perfect... but it's the best we can do.

Great discussions here: http://wp.nmc.org/horizon2009/chapters/mobiles/

Cell phone ethics: When to use, when not to etc. Stories of my friend who
many feel is a cell phone addict.

- Project management: Getting Things Done, by David Allen and this great
t-shirt:

http://www.zazzle.com/top_10_reasons_to_procrastinate_1_shirt-235711900420333011

The goal here is to learn to "chip away."

- Facebook, MySpace (discussions here, most kids are working Facebook here),
YouTube, Google Vid, TED, knol, Jott, iTunes, iTunes U and podcasting.
ITunes podcasts and iTunes U in particular have become very popular here in
project work.

- Online photo: Flickr, Picasa, Photobucket, shutterfly etc. Meta data and
the evolution of geo tagging: Seadragon to Photosynth, iLife etc.

- Each student does two mini presentations to the class on another item in
Google Labs or other social networking tools.

- Offshoring of data jobs. Economic shifts.

We write class proposals to the school / administration: We've changed the
appearance of the classroom, built an internship program, Google Apps etc.
proposals listed here:
http://classes.burrburton.org/cis/aprovost/Proposals/index.html

- I ask folks to pick two articles from Gary Stager (Stager.org) over the
semester and write up a review on each. I like Gary's work. This intros us
to look at programs outside school walls: colleges, Universities and
businesses. Abeline Christian U iPhone project, Pepperdine, ASU, MIT,
Harvard, Stanford, and many others. Businesses lead us to discussions on the
changing workplace. Emphasis on collaborating, networking socially etc are
essential.

I ask students to redesign education. Very popular and this generates lots
of feedback from alumni too.

There are a good deal of other assignments and discussions but this is
getting a bit long for this forum I think.

If a student repeats the class, they do not repeat any of the work above
except speeches. They build upon on those assignments, mentor other students
in class and continue their own project work. Each repeat offender needs to
present more polished work.

I push folks pretty hard.

I weave in topics as they arise too, which I feel is critical to our mission
here in the course. Here are five of the latest discussions:
1. New President, new educational plan and Arne Duncan
2. Economy
3. http://wp.nmc.org/horizon2009
4. Newspapers going digital and the evolution of digital paper:
http://delicious.com/batman44/newspapers
5. http://www.methuselahfoundation.org and the genome project. How long will
we live in the future ? What that might mean to you.

Grading / evaluations are based on individual ability demonstrated on early
assignments and discussions - where students feel they sit. I look up grade
reports on every student who enters class, usually takes 2-3 hours. I eval
the progress they make: Their resolve to gain familiarity with all the
things above, participate in discussions, effort on informal essays and
their project development. Students submit two-week updates in writing on
project progress and next set of goals. The progress and effort on their
work is the key. Cumulative grades, no curves, open discussions on each
assignment with each student. Lively debates on effort and thought. Next
step: Share a Google doc with each student on their grades and we debate in
person and online.

Lots of info coming in but that's what search and email filters are for
right ?

Mash all that together and we play music and videos during class, students
can eat and drink in the lab... as long as they pick it up. Only one spill
so far... and now I use a cup with a cover !  Classes rotate each week to
clean the Lab for 5 minutes on Friday. Creates ownership. Gives me more time
to chat, the custodians love it, keyboards desk and mice are cleaner and the
Lab stays clean and streamlined.

I have distributed this course outline to quite a few folks, spoken on it a
few times and we have had quite a few visitors. Let me know if your
interested and we can chat on it. About a year ago we wrote up RLab under a
Creative Commons License and are looking to sign on other schools /
distribute all the information to those who feel they might benefit from it.
We'd like to build a web site (we think) around curriculum ideas, assessment
/ eval / teaching notes, assignment listings, class flow, project archiving
and promote live student projects across schools. Saves reinventing the
wheel. Each school would have flexibility, of course, to adjust anything,
call it what they wish (though we're fond of the RLab title) etc as they see
fit. Let me know if you might be interested.

Proposals on the horizon in the Lab:

Some advanced hardware / network, Lab vets and, an IT gent here named Rick
and I are working on a simplified infrastructure model. Discussed this with
Craig (Lyndes) the other day. Making a lot of sense to us and we'll share it
up soon. Great for small schools especially. We're ramping the RLab, this
infrastructure and a one to one  model for posting so folks can draw from
it.

There's another course thread here called "RLab Teaching and Internship
Practicum" where students are working a help desk style / prof dev program
for adults and students on campus. It's a pilot for our full fleged help
desk program.
http://classes.burrburton.org/cis/aprovost/Proposals/HelpDesk/index.html

Two student projects on nutrition have spurred on a "Lunch Club" here.
Nutrition programs in schools became a major discussion point in our school
refit assignment. Lively debate.

One that emerged recently... Some kids here want to make up "Got RLab ?"
t-shirts. Love it.

So you get the idea that things start flowing together and create great
discussions, give students a voice in proposals for change and most
importanlty diverse ways to learn... among other things.

" Information Technology and Vermont Education Goals: A Vermont State
Technology Council Position Paper.

*A number of the essential skills relate to more than one strand or area.
These are higher- level thinking skills such as analyzing, synthesizing and
evaluating. These skills are recognized as basic to the effective use of
information technology. We also recognize a core of knowledge necessary for
students in the use of technological tools for learning and working. This
core includes: basic terminology, ethics, privacy, ownership, copyright,
health issues, and vocational implications of technology.*"

Figured we've got that covered and then some.

Gotta love snow days, Adam