I know many tech companies (not schools) that use Twitter as a way to
quickly share information with both employees and customers.

During many natural disasters, rescue efforts have been coordinated
via Twitter.

Twitter could very feasibly be used as either an alternate or primary
messaging system for schools. Snow day? Get the info out with a quick
tweet. Something else? Tweet again. Instantly delivered via SMS and/or
web UI.

Essentially, Twitter is very useful as a free messaging service.

Also, the information that Twitter collects is entirely voluntary and
is displayed publicly in a profile.