Vince..
Thanks for sharing the article and taking the time to pull the quote.
I think  part of the reason TWITTER seems hard to get is that the
question on the top of the page is "What are you doing".

I wish it was possible to set up a Twitter Account and change the
"What are you doing?" text in the header.

The Times article reinforced this

"an easy way to keep your staff and co-workers informed
about where you are and what you*re doing"

when in reality many of the valuable  TWEETS I get don't answer that
question at all.  Some of the valuable Tweets answer "What did you
just read that made you think?"  "What did you just overhear that is
worth passing on?"  What are you questioning?

Hmmmm if this sounds familiar its because its all the dialogue a good
classroom teacher tries to get going in the "class participation" part
of his/her instruction.

Many people are doing SIX WORD STORIES write now based on Hemingways
Six Word Memoir -" For Sale; Baby Shoes; Never Worn"
Isn't Twitter sort of the same "

(To see a whole bunch more  excellent ones check out :
 "http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/today/reports/misc/sixwordlife_20080205.shtml

or  Vermonts Young Writers Project 7 word stories
http://www.youngwritersproject.org/

Twitter is just the 140 character version of this idea and goes way
beyond "What are you doing?

Lucie

--
Lucie deLaBruere