-----Original Message-----
From: School Information Technology Discussion
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Darth Vader
Sent: January 23, 2009 9:31 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: watching inauguration live over the Internet

We captured the video off of cable tv using MythTV, like tivo, then provided
the file to the network through VLC over UDP (multicast).  Ran great, no
hang-ups.  We provided a shortcut to the VLC stream in a shared network
drive so our students and teachers could easily access it.  I'd bet we had
300+ connections to it.

End result was a multicast video stream about 30 seconds behind live tv.
The video and audio quality was awesome.

It was suggested that we could present this at the SB Tech Conference.

Mike

Michael Vining, SB Network Services
South Burlington School District
South Burlington, Vermont 05403