On Jan 26, 2009, at 9:08 AM, Darth Vader wrote:

Speaking of the iPhone.  SB has been getting kids set up on our wireless
network with their iPod touches. The return from break was pretty busy.
We have a form to fill out for them just to be clear about the
expectations, but we are basically treating them the same as laptops.

Speaking of which, UVM is upgrading our wireless network to support an 802.1x  "WPA2 Enterprise."  Besides a login procedure, this provides (not perfect) encryption for wireless devices ... sort of makes it a bit harder for folks to use a wireless device to do network snooping.

For iPhone (iPod Touch) folks, two of my favorite applications are:

WiFiFoFum

and

WiFinder

both are which are network discovery tools downloadable from the App store.