We put together a course called WOrking with Web 2.0, in an attempt to offer a more topical and up to date business ed course for our students.  The intention was to focus on collaborative tools and many of these new social networking tools.  Luckily, we were unable to get enough kids to sign up for it, as this kept us from having to deal with the problem of all these websites being blocked here at school!

--Steve Barner

-----Original Message-----
From: School Information Technology Discussion on behalf of Steve Cavrak
Sent: Wed 1/28/2009 8:20 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: IT Competencies

On Jan 27, 2009, at 9:04 PM, Laurence Booker wrote:

> Next step:  please tell me what you guys do in your IT classes so I
> can measure my own classes
> and what I teach them.  If you're way ahead of me -- and I want to
> know this, if it is so -- then
> I have to catch up.

Following Lucie's reminder, I dug up a link to

Information Technology and Vermont Education Goals: A Vermont State
Technology Council Position Paper.

A number of the essential skills relate to more than one strand or
area. These are higher- level thinking skills such as analyzing,
synthesizing and evaluating. These skills are recognized as basic to
the effective use of information technology. We also recognize a core
of knowledge necessary for students in the use of technological tools
for learning and working. This core includes: basic terminology,
ethics, privacy, ownership, copyright, health issues, and vocational
implications of technology.

A  classic ... http://www.vita-learn.org/resources/eddocs/itveg.html

---

This thread reminded me of some of the more modern skills - not
included in the "office" suite ...

	- social computing a la youtube, facebook, orkut, ...
	- collaborative computing a la online conferencing, webinars,
wikimedia, twitter, aim, ...
	- media computing a la flickr, fotolog,
	- datasharing a la delicious, citulike, digg,
	- keitai computing a la iphone, blackberry, android,

	- ??? a la dslight (brain age, sonomama, ...) or wii/fit

believed to be clean.