I haven't figured out the attraction to Twitter, but it's blocked here at SBSD.  One interesting tidbit from the Wikipedia entry on Twitter:

Twitter collects personally identifiable information about its users and shares it with third parties. Twitter considers that information an asset, and reserves the right to sell it if the company changes hands.

Steve Barner
South Burlington High School

From: School Information Technology Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Luis Bango
Sent: Monday, January 12, 2009 11:35 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Twitter in schools

Hi list,

I'm wondering if other schools are blocking Twitter or using Twitter somehow either for communication, public relations, or for instruction.
If you block it, why?   Does Twitter pose the same kind of threat and distraction to students as MySpace and Facebook?

If you are using it or know a teacher/school that is, could you send along their urls?

thanks for you input,
Luis

Luis Bango
WUHSMS