Hi Mike & John,
We just got a couple new HP switches here at MMU and I'd be interested in the contacts at HP.  We have had
some weird issues where random ports just stop working.  A reset fixes it for a while but then it reoccurs after a week or so.
We've called HP and they have told us they are aware of this issue but have no solution as of yet.

We traded in 2 of the Procurve 4000's and got about $1400 trade in with HP.  There's some paperwork involved and you
have to wait a bit for the check but it did come.

Thanks, Jean

Jean Campbell
CESU Technology Support
211 Browns Trace
Jericho, VT 05465
Phone: 802-858-1726

>>> Darth Vader <[log in to unmask]> 1/22/2009 9:20 AM >>>
I'd stick with Procurve... hard to beat a solid switch with a lifetime
warranty and no yearly support fees (I'm talking about you Cisco).

Which line to point you at is hard to say since I don't know what kind
of port density you require.  But, the 4200 is a chasis solution (4 or 8
bay) and you can get just about any kind of port load out you want.  The
Mini-GBICs aren't really all that expensive considering what they do
(ball park of $250 for the SX-LC Mini-GBIC).

You can also grab the 2800 with 48 10/100/1000 ports with 4 mini-gbic
ports as well (I bet that comes in around $1500).

If you need some good contacts for HP networking gear I've got a couple
guys you can talk to.

I agree that the 4000's are getting a little long in the tooth, but they
are still under warranty.  Also there might be some trade-in
opportunities for you where you can dig up an old crappy hub/switch and
trade it in for a shiny new switch.

Mike

Michael Vining, SB Network Services
South Burlington School District