Ray ­ thanks for provoking this, since we have been processing the event
ourselves. We did some testing in advance to see which sites had best
quality/lowest overhead/least installation, and the effect/viability on LAN
traffic/bandwidth.
Two different scenarios in our two schools:

1. Middle school has (Comcast) cable TV, most plugged into this. We updated
flash on a handful of machines (users canıt) to stream CNN, users had to
install a plugin (which they could do without admin access). I was in the
other building, but apparently the streams were choppy (may be because
several people tried to watch it on their own, despite messages about
specific streams that were set up for groups). Based on the success in our
other school, I blame the LAN switching (HP Procurve 2124, 100MB backbone)
and not the cable bandwidth, but hard to tell.