From: School Information Technology Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Eric Hall
Sent: Friday, January 23, 2009 10:51 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: watching inauguration live over the Internet

Ray – thanks for provoking this, since we have been processing the event ourselves. We did some testing in advance to see which sites had best quality/lowest overhead/least installation, and the effect/viability on LAN traffic/bandwidth.
Two different scenarios in our two schools:

  1. Middle school has (Comcast) cable TV, most plugged into this. We updated flash on a handful of machines (users can’t) to stream CNN, users had to install a plugin (which they could do without admin access). I was in the other building, but apparently the streams were choppy (may be because several people tried to watch it on their own, despite messages about specific streams that were set up for groups). Based on the success in our other school, I blame the LAN switching (HP Procurve 2124, 100MB backbone) and not the cable bandwidth, but hard to tell.

2. In the elementary school we set up five streams from CNN. I think everyone appreciated watching it together by grade level vs. on their own – we saw the same “crowd camaraderie” & group response described elsewhere. We even made the front page of the local paper! The streams went off without a hitch, which I attribute partly to our switches (Cisco, 1GB between them). I did watch bandwidth from Comcast, and noticed they boosted us from the usual 4+ to around 8 at 11:15, then by 12:15 we were down to just under 3. I appreciate that they anticipated the demand! Our streams kept the modem maxed out, but again it was very effective and only a couple of quick “burps.”

When we renovated the elementary school recently we made a conscious decision NOT to include cable TV, figuring any big media events would be available through Internet. This was our chance to show this was viable!

Eric