I don't find it odd that some Nigerians think a man can turn into a goat.
After all, millions of Americans think that an administration as incompetent
as George W. Bush's could have made a controlled explosion of the World
Trade center towers look like an airplane attack by terrorists.

MB

On Sat, Jan 24, 2009 at 2:08 PM, Mitchel Cohen
<[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> http://www.reuters.com/article/oddlyEnoughNews/idUSTRE50M4XT20090123?feedType=RSS&feedName=oddlyEnoughNews&rpc=69
>

> *Goat detained over armed robbery*Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:08pm EST
>

> LAGOS (Reuters) - Police in Nigeria are holding a goat on suspicion of
> attempted armed robbery.
>
> Vigilantes took the black and white beast to the police saying it was an
> armed robber who had used black magic to transform himself into a goat to
> escape arrest after trying to steal a Mazda 323.
>
> "The group of vigilante men came to report that while they were on patrol
> they saw some hoodlums attempting to rob a car. They pursued them. However
> one of them escaped while the other turned into a goat," Kwara state police
> spokesman Tunde Mohammed told Reuters by telephone.
>
> "We cannot confirm the story, but the goat is in our custody. We cannot
> base our information on something mystical. It is something that has to be
> proved scientifically, that a human being turned into a goat," he said.
>
> Belief in witchcraft is widespread in parts of Nigeria, Africa's most
> populous nation. Residents came to the police station to see the goat,
> photographed in one national newspaper on its knees next to a pile of straw.

> In the NY Metro newspaper Thursday, January 22, 2009:
>
> A woman soccer fan from Hatfield, England has been banned from taking her
> pet parrot to soccer matches after the bird disrupted a game by constantly
> imitating the referee's whistle.
>
> [picture of parrot with soccer ball]

> *From: *BRITISH NEWSPAPERS
>
> Commenting on a complaint from a Mr. Arthur Purdey about a large gas bill,
> a spokesman for North West Gas said, 'We agree it was rather high for the
> time of year. It's possible Mr. Purdey has been charged for the gas used up
> during the explosion that destroyed his house.'
>
> (The Daily Telegraph)
>
>  -----------------------------------------------
>
> Police reveal that a woman arrested for shoplifting had a whole salami in
> her underwear. When asked why, she said it was because she was missing her
> Italian boyfriend.
>
> (The  Manchester  Evening News)
>
> ---------------------------
>
> Irish police are being handicapped in a search for a stolen van, because
> they cannot issue a description. It's a Special Branch vehicle and they
> don't want the public to know what it looks like.
>
> (The Guardian)
>
> ----------------------------
>
> A young girl who was blown out to sea on a set of inflatable teeth was
> rescued by a man on an inflatable lobster. A coast guard spokesman
> commented, 'This sort of thing is all too common'.
>
> (The Times)
>
> ----------------------------
>
> At the height of the gale, the harbourmaster radioed a coast guard and
> asked him to estimate the wind speed. He replied he was sorry, but he didn't
> have a gauge. However, if it was any help, the wind had just blown his Land
> Rover off the cliff.

> [...]

Michael Balter
Contributing Correspondent, Science
Adjunct Professor of Journalism,