Of course it's reasonable, and valuable, for an organization to track its
history of decision-making.  And political agencies, like the EPA, tend to
have layers of "hidden history" that are often left out of documents, or
only circuitously alluded to.

But this request strikes me as either incredibly clumsy - like asking the
other football team whether they think the catch was good -  or brutally
suggestive.  Is the new Obama EPA staff insinuating that there are no
reliable accounts in its own archive? That the corporate culture is so
flawed, so unreliable, that even outsiders are invited to cast themselves as
more knowledgeable?  Because most environmental historians are outsiders to
government culture, and to be honest, I've found much of their work on US
pollution regulation to be only superficially informed about the complex
politics and organizational behaviors at work. Worse, a lot of them rely on
governmental,

What does it say about the corporate culture of EPA?  I've never worked for
any agency or institution that had to float such a public request for
outside information on its own history, unless it was melting down
completely.

I'm trying to imagine my - or your - university, for instance, sending out a
request to, say, journalists, for accounts of its history of decision
making.

Granted, my own university has been in one meltdown after another over the
past 5-6 years, with frequent staff turnovers and reorganizations that have
tended to muddle the records - when they even got started on keeping any.
Prior to that, it was run through "handshake" deals that went unrecorded,
mainly because the plantation old-boys for whom the state university was
just another part of their fiefdom were a very small circle with no public
accountability expected, or given. I've had to be one of those seeking out
the hidden, contradictory, and very shady, history of some of these
"deals."  Most of the staff hope - or pretend - that records exists and
"will explain everything" (as being legal, or at least somewhat rational).
None of them ever admit publicly that we have no reliable records of what
was done.

A blunt request to generally critical outsiders for explanations of the
organization's history sounds like a flat out admission that this agency
official, at least, can't figure out what's gone on.

Perhaps the EPA official requesting the recommendations is merely seeking to
build their list of "most read" critiques.  But she's a PhD in a high-level
job.  Shouldn't she know how to do her own homework?

--
"The life of the individual only has meaning insofar as it aids in making
the life of every living thing nobler and more beautiful."  --- Albert

"Today so far I have aided ____ lives to be nobler and more beautiful."
 Imagine filling in the blank with the number whose health, understanding,
happiness, peace and self-actualization you helped forward!
 But should a number be subtracted for every life not helped? Everyone
tangibly hindered by a momentary reluctance, a withholding of attention, a
refusal to act as their friend?
 The number helped should always start with "1" - that is yourself. Take a
deep breath in ... out ... be at peace ... in this moment. Be with the
more-than-human world around us. Be willing. Be joyous with life. I love
you, fellow Being! Let us be friends.