Dear flow netters

On this ever evolving and revolving issue of angle correction, I would refer everyone to  a  pdf,  available on the ICAVL website.
Look at page 3, section 3.1.2.6
There are many reasons for this never ending discussion.  Not  everyone work in an accredited laboratory, nor is everyone credentialed and we all have varied backgrounds education and ultrasound experience level. (But as I am the eternal optimist, I can dream of the day when all labs are accredited and all sonographers credentialed).  I also realize that not every sonographer gets as excited about ultrasound physics as some of us do and in fact, some never think about physics again after they pass their boards.
 Not all schools are teaching the same curriculum so we wind up with lots of folks doing things certain ways based on anecdotal evidence or just because they were told to do things a certain way by their teachers/trainers  who all have the same varied backgrounds.
  So who is the authority ? The physics of ultrasound and the Doppler equation are great resources to figure this thing out.  ( If you get weak knees thinking about physics there are lots of folks who will be glad to help you) Also, look at your cosine tables to see how much info you are calculating (and losing) by only using 60 degrees.  If you study this issue, you will realize that 60 degrees is not the optimal angle for interrogating all vessels.
I strongly believe that one of the absolute responsibilities of being a professional sonographer is to "not" accept everything we are told on a "just because" we were told basis. It is our duty to study and learn and think for ourselves.
In my mind, the best authority here is the organization who will accredit your laboratory.
You can read the ICAVL standards document and draw your own conclusions.
I will leave you with this thought.
If I ever had to defend my position on angle correction in a court of law,,,,, I would certainly like to be able to hold up a document, developed over many years by respected professionals in my field and say I base my angle correction decisions based on these standards.
I have never seen published data that says all velocity based Doppler data should be obtained at 60 degree angles, no exceptions. Until I do,,,, I believe page 3, section 3.1.2.6

Donald T. Milburn,  NACT RDCS, RVT, FSDMS

(928) 308-0545