Yeah Don Milburn,,, loved you explanation and write up above.
There are very few errors in the 80-90% stenoses range.
I find that "splitting hairs" in relationship to angle to the wall of a stenosis
is usually 40-60% or 60-80% the lesion which is really 50-70% is always a "tough" call if
you do not have a good image and doppler is your deciding factor. Well doppler is always your deciding factor..

We are very good at calling stenoses today. These are the numbers I usually see with quarterly QA.

How many people can actually say they have 2 out of 125 carotid exams per month that do not match with CT, MRA or surgery?
 I think it is usually 2 out of 6 months worth of carotid exams (600 plus)
that may have to go to QA review with an over read or under read.

The machines and experience are just that good.

Denise Levy, RVT, RDMS
Regional Medical Center of San Jose